Thursday, July 11, 2019

Kate's Half Birthday

Let me be clear: we do not celebrate half birthdays. With seven people in our family, I've got enough to do with celebrating birthdays and holidays, I don't need to add in seven half birthdays. That's insanity.

But Katie got it into her head that she was going to celebrate her half birthday and make it a special day for herself. She counted down the days and paid close attention to the calendar.

And then, it was finally here. She dressed up special.


And made a card for our neighbor to notify her of the day's importance and hand delivered it.
"I love you Carulen (Carolyn) From Katie"
This is Carolyn in one of her shirts that we often see her wearing!


"2019 April
WedNesday 24
To Caruln
From Katie
It is my half birthday.
I am 7 and a half
I love you
Caruln"


She fed Scarlet treats.


Then she wanted to play paleontologist with me in the backyard.






I dressed for Jurassic Park and channeled Laura Dern only to find out that she meant geologist. She's interested in rocks, not fossils and dinosaurs.


I did my best, but I'm gonna have to find myself some killer khaki shorts!


Our box for cool rocks.








And then she showed me how to wash the rocks using this cool water bottle system she learned from watching Crazy Russian Hacker on YouTube.








She was very patient in teaching Samson how to wash the rocks and scrub them with the toothbrush.


Dancy inspected chalk on a closer level.


Shh! No one tell the Y! But this girl is too cute and funny with her upside-down goggles and "Look at what I can do!"


Day after Katie's half birthday: 

Mud in the forest! Have I mentioned it's one of her favorite things? Mud. Yes. Also glitter and all things fancy. It's a wonderful balance.


Ahhhhhh, to be back in the forest after so long away!


Thora and Sam were being chickens. I think this falls under the umbrella category of "barbaric yawp" that Walt Whitman gave us.




Proudly climbing on and jumping off this boulder.


Burdock in the hair! Who knew nature's Velcro looked so adorable in the pigtail of a four-year-old?


Dandelion bouquets are my favorite. Not even kidding.


Oh, you know, just playing in the creek and watering forest plants with...


this lovely vodka bottle we found!


Shad and I went to dinner at this Korean place by us. I finally got to try kimchi! And this shaved ice cream is amazing!




After complaining that I had started every morning that week with kids in my face or knocking incessantly on my door, Tommy decided to help me out.


No comments:

Post a Comment