Friday, September 14, 2018

Nomad Midwest Trip, Day 12: Chicago

Chicago. I've never really felt drawn to it. But since we were in the area, we might as well check it out for a day, right? My plan was to take the train into the city, but it didn't dawn on me to check the train schedule until we were ready to leave the hotel room at 10 am. We had just missed a train by 3 minutes and the next one wouldn't be around for another 3.5 hours. So drive in, it is!

We parked and made our way to Millennium Park to do the tourist thing and see Cloud Gate. None of us were impressed.


This was a cool sculpture, though.


We played in Maggie Daley park for hours and I hardly took any pictures. Just some at snack break.




Perhaps I didn't take many pictures because I got distracted by a pigeon, which made me remember that Home Alone took place in Chicago and I should find that house on the map so we could see it. Yes, a pigeon inspired that.

In the Enchanted Forest. Or the Peace Garden. Can't remember which. These sculptures occasionally spouted water. 








Strange berry-like thing. Almost looks raspberry-ish.


We moved on to Navy Pier where we wanted to see Crystal Gardens, but found that it was closed for a private event. Excuse my language after I just paid $30 for parking...Katie wanted to ride the Ferris Wheel, but I'm so glad she understands the value of money when I told her it's $18 per ticket and that would be $108. Her eyes widened and she knew we could spend that much money better elsewhere.

So we just enjoyed the pier.
{Three, Four, Five, Two, One}


{One, Four, Five, Two, Three}


On the way out, I noticed a group of people taking turns taking pictures for each other. I asked if they'd take a picture of me with my kids and I'd take a picture of them together. "Que? Habla Espanol?" Good thing I've got charade skills from China! We established understanding, took pictures for each other, then proceeded to have a conversation...them in Spanish, me in English, gestures used on both sides. The kids were in awe. They asked if the kids were all mine. "Si." "Oh! Cinco!" "Que linda!" Something about Azul as they were looking at Tommy. Yes, I'm used to Latinos awing over my blue-eyed, blonde-haired children. I translated to the kids. The tourists told me they're from Colombia and asked if I live in Chicago. "No, Colorado." "Que?" "Coolloorraddoo." "Que?" *Spanish pronunciation* "Colorado." "Ahhhh! Si!" I laughed a little on the inside. To me, the pronunciations are close enough to be understandable. We parted ways and the kids asked how I knew how to say Colorado in Spanish and how I knew what they were saying. I explained that you learn a few words here and there and it helps to have little conversations.

{Three, Five, me, Four, Two, One}


Beautiful wall with stars and "Navy Pier" imprinted.


Oh, hey! There's NBC!


We got out of the city as fast as we could since we were a little on the late side to get over to dinner with the Clarks. Traffic had set in and there was a road block and detour coming out of the pier that hadn't been there when we came in.

Overall opinion of the city I've never had interest in: we could go back and spend some quality time there. I was surprised by how little traffic there was going in, but then it was also 11 on a Saturday. I was surprised by how easy it was to navigate. I was surprised by how comfortable I felt being a single parent with 5 kids walking through the city and running around the park. And it was clean!

After dinner and playing as long as they could, the goodbyes still managed to be pretty cheery. The girls wanted a picture with just them.
{Bonnie, Three, Two, Emily, Four}


By the way, Bonnie is only 7 months older than Three (and a head taller), and Emily is only a year older than Two and a few months younger than One (and a head taller).
{Three, Bonnie, One, Two, Five, Emily, Four}


I wanted a picture with my friend, too.
{Five, me, and Chris}


Til next time, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment