Sunday, November 13, 2016

Homemade Hummus

I've been making this hummus for years and now it's time to share.

Hummus


Ingredients:
2 cans garbanzo beans
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
1/4-1/2 c water
1 T minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground red pepper or 1/4 tsp cayenne

Put all ingredients in a blender or food processor.


Puree until smooth, adding water to achieve desired consistency.


We serve our hummus with cheese, summer sausage, an assortment of vegetables (carrots, celery, cucumber, tomato, bell peppers), alfalfa sprouts, and a grain (Triscuits, French bread, pita, toasted tortillas, homemade wheat bread).


My favorite is spreading the hummus on my homemade whole wheat bread, topping it with alfalfa sprouts and garden tomatoes. A filling, but light dinner, perfect for summer! All five of my kids love eating this hummus. My babies yell at me for not spooning it into their mouths fast enough. My two-year-old squeals and dances with glee when she sees the hummus.

*recipe adapted from Budget Bites

No comments:

Post a Comment